In 2015-2016, FCYO sponsored a capacity building project focused on helping youth organizing groups integrate social media and communications technology into their organizing models. This project supported seven youth organizing groups who were already doing excellent face-to-face organizing and who demonstrated an interest and a readiness to incorporate a greater level of media and technology into their work in order to engage a larger audience and build power.
- VAYLA, New Orleans, LA
- Californians for Justice, CA
- Inner City Struggle, Los Angeles, CA
- Youth Organizing Institute, Durham, NC
- Ohio Student Association, OH
- DRUM, Brooklyn, NY
- Generation Justice, Albuquerque, NM
Lead Technical Assistance Provider: PowerLabs helps organizations build powerful movements by integrating community organizing and digital strategy. Their team has significant experience helping community organizing groups — especially organizations working in communities of color and LGBTQ communities — use digital to engage a broad base of support, build power and win campaigns.
- Support a cohort of seven youth organizing groups to integrate social media and technology into their overall organizing model in order to engage a larger audience and build power.
- Develop lessons and tools that can be shared with the youth organizing field as a whole.
- 7 youth organizing groups receive training and increase their overall understanding of various media and technology platforms.
- 7 youth organizing groups receive individualized support on how to integrate media and technology into their organizing model.
- 7 youth organizing groups receive support to implement one new communications and technology project.
- A toolkit and webinar are developed for sharing tools and lessons with the field.