Job Opening: FCYO Program Associate
The Funders' Collaborative on Youth Organizing (FCYO) seeks a highly organized, passionate and multi-talented candidate with a commitment to supporting youth-led social justice to fill a new Program Associate (PA) position that will provide support to the organization’s expanded programming. The PA will support several of FCYO’s programmatic work areas with some emphasis in logistics and event planning. This will specifically include implementing the work of our Healthy Communities and Youth Core Initiatives. The PA will also provide support to all areas of FCYO’s current and new programming including: communication and social media, grants management, program execution, and evaluation. The ideal candidate brings a strong analysis of social justice issues, knowledge of the youth and young adult organizing sector, some experience with philanthropy, experience in campaign strategy and youth leadership development, knowledge of the health justice field and the ability to thrive and succeed in a dynamic, fluid workplace environment.
The PA will work directly with the Deputy Director and will also work closely with other Program Staff and the Development and Events Manager. Externally the PA will also work closely with grantees and some contractors.
Healthy Communities (50%)
The Program Associate will be key in supporting the Healthy Communities Initiative. Healthy Communities advances the leadership of young people of color in advocating for the creation of healthy schools and communities as a foundation for improved nutritional, physical, social and emotional health of children and families. The PA will help manage the Healthy Communities Bridge Project which will include planning convenings and webinars that devise and create space for youth organizations to build out strategies and analysis that advance youth power. The Program Associate will be responsible for leading the communications efforts of this initiative by maintaining its social media and web presences. There will also be some writing, research and evaluation required.
Youth Community Organizing Resource Exchange (CORE) (25%)
The PA will help with the implementation of Youth CORE. This program is a set of activities that aim to help build a stronger and more stable youth organizing field in the U.S. Youth CORE’s activities bring together a large number of youth organizers from across the country to share learnings, build relationships and develop common strategy. This year Youth CORE is focused on FCYO’s 20th Anniversary and our 2020 Campaign which will include communications, a field scan, a convening for the field in 2020, as well as launching a new fund. The Program Associate will support the cultivation of webinars and planning convenings including logistics, communication, and coordination with organizations in the field. There is potential to take lead in some areas.
Overall FCYO Support and Logistics (25%): All FCYO staff support the overall success of the organization. This may include planning meetings, providing on-the-ground support to manage logistics of events across the country, as well as helping to shape the overall events. Other responsibilities include reading, scoring and helping to draft grant proposals, as well as writing and submitting grant reports.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in social justice work with a solid understanding of the youth organizing landscape nationally, including experience with youth organizing groups.
- Experience in fields related to current program initiatives (community organizing, youth development, youth civic engagement, food justice, school wellness, and public health) strongly desired.
- Experience in developing campaign strategies, tactics and messages.
- Strong communications skills including excellent writing, editing and critical reading, preparing and delivering presentations, and strong oral communication skills; comfortable presenting information at meetings and conferences, and representing FCYO in the broader community.
- Strong social justice analysis and understanding of movement building strategy across multiple social justice issues.
- Strong attention to detail, while working independently, managing multiple projects effectively.
- An ability to thrive in an organization that is remote and flexible but also has in person events that require an ability to work at a fast pace.
- Experience in event logistics planning and event management.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and communicate effectively and professionally with a diverse range of people.
- Outstanding creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong skills with MS Office Suite and Google Docs.
- Experience with digital communications writing and using social media in a professional capacity (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Knowledge of Word Press a plus.
- Some experience with grant writing and understanding of foundation fundraising desired.
- Second language fluency a plus.
Location: Anywhere in the United States, with some preference for the Albuquerque, NM area
Travel: This position requires traveling nationally up to 1-2 times a month
Job Type: Full-Time
Start Date: September 2019
Compensation: Salary range is $50,000 - $60,000 depending on experience.
Bend the Arc offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage and generous employer contribution toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
- Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- 401K with employer contribution after your first year;
- Paid time off for vacation, sick leave, holidays (up to 23 paid holidays in a year), Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence, and Comp time;
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter by August 2nd to Mónica Córdova, Deputy Director, at email@example.com. Please put “Program Associate” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through August 2nd, as the target start date for this position will be in September 2019.
FCYO is a project of and fiscally sponsored by Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice. FCYO is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, and members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities.
Bend the Arc and FCYO values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we recognize that diversity within our staff helps us organize and work well with diverse constituencies. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.